3/6/07 UPDATE: Hooray! The Board of County Commissioners unanimously approved the acceptance of the FCT grant and will be moving forward towards the purchase of Fiddler's Green as an oceanfront park for the public to enjoy! There was such a wonderful turnout by the community for this. Thanks to all who came, e-mailed or called the commissioners. Your support made the difference!
Please come to the St. Johns Board of County Commissioners Meeting this Tuesday, March 6, 2007 to let your voice be heard to support the purchase of Fiddler's Green for only 25% of its value to be preserved as an oceanfront park. Come around 9:30 a.m. Here's some info:
Issue - Should the County accept a land acquisition grant in the amount of up to $4.16 million from the Florida Communities Trust for 75% of the purchase price for the Fiddlers Green Restaurant Property to make it a Park - or lose the property to Condo developers.
•§ This is a one time opportunity with a final decision date of 3/6/2007
•§ Three quarters of the funding has been committed by the State of Florida and will not impact taxes
•§ A yes on the vote will allow the county to have the legacy of a high quality park for the public and area visitors forever
Email County Commissioners - http://www.co.st-johns.fl.us/ > County Commission
Show up and be heard:
Where: St Johns County Commission Auditorium
When: Tuesday - March 6, 2007
Who: Public invited in full force to show the need for a Park NOT Condos
- 75% of Purchase Price of this 1.7 acre parcel will be paid for by a Florida Communities Trust (FCT) Florida Forever Program Grant. Up to $4.16 million. If purchase is not made by St. Johns County, this funding will default to another Florida County.
- Ask Commissioners AT LEAST to do the Due Diligence - Appraisals and Environmental Study - to determine the actual purchase price -- and then to investigate any and all creative means to finance 25% of the purchase price.
- This Project received a maximum Ten Excellence Points at the FCT presentation by a group of citizens, county staff and property owners in Tallahassee.
- County 2006 Contract to Purchase and FCT Grant expires shortly.
- This is a Florida Heritage Site. The historical marker tells the story of the Vilano Beach Casino on this site from 1926 to 1939. It has an historic building with unique architecture that has been there for 39 years.
- Management Plan for this site includes use as a community center, museum, cultural and educational programs, sea turtle patrol, use as a lifeguard HQ, experimental natural seaside garden, sports venue, special events.
- If this grant is refused and new condos are built, the County would lose beach parking to the high tide line along the oceanfront for DEP required re-vegetation, blocking current beach parking roadway and restricting vehicle access to lifeguard stations.
- As condos, these buildings would tower over adjacent county park and public pavilion and block river to sea view of the ocean.
- This beach concerns everyone in our County , And it is adjacent to the State and Federally designated A1A Scenic Byway.
- Near the St. Augustine Inlet, It now provides the site for National Skim Boarding Championships, Easter Sunrise Service, sea turtle nesting.
- Don't let this go the way of the lost oceanfront Fleeman and London Tracts.
Board of County Commission mailing address 4020 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, FL 32084,
Phone: 209-0300, Fax: 209-0310. Go to County web page: http://www.co.st-johns.fl.us/, then Board of County Commission for a send-to link or individually to email@example.com, and bccd2@, bccd3@, bccd4@, bccd5@. Check the BCC Agenda for March 6 on March 5 for item number, check Government Channel 3, bring a book to read until item addressed..
Barbara Jenness takes joy in assisting people in buying or selling their home or land in northeast Florida (St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra, and Jacksonville). She is a community activist and leader serving as President of Friends of A1A 2008-2010, Past President of Scenic & Historic A1A in St. Johns County for over 10 years, and past vice-president of Vilano Beach Main Street (North Shores Improvement Association). She is a past president for WCR in St. Augustine and a member of South Ponte Vedra Civic Association, Porpoise Point, Serenata Beach Club, and Palencia. She founded and is a Past President of the St. Augustine Regional Council (StAR Council) to promote the St. Augustine area to individuals outside the region.
Awards: REALTOR of the Year, Businesswoman of the Year, SPIRIT Award Passion, Five-Star Best in Client Satisfaction-7 Years Winner